Posted tagged ‘Gartner’

OSS Adoption Becoming Ubiquitous

November 20, 2008

Gartner recently came out with a new report on open source software adoption . The wholesale adoption of open source software (OSS) across the enterprise seems to continue unabated. The firm found that 85% of companies are using OSS somewhere in the enterprise and that the remaining 15% plan too within the next 12 months.

Considering the looming recession, it is no surprise that respondents “consistently said that lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and reduction in development of cost-prohibitive factors were major factors for selecting OSS.” 

The simple fact is that open source software, with functionality that meets or exceeds that of older proprietary brethren,  allows you to focus your dollars where they are most needed: customization, marketing/fundraising, and service delivery. It no longer makes sense to invest significant money upfront for software licenses. Invest in what drives results.

Advertisements